Join the other Quicktakers at This Ain't the Lyceum.
I can't talk about the SCOTUS ruling right now. I've been to confession, I'm in a good place, I am letting it go for now - at least through the weekend. If' you'd like to see my personal stack of controversial stuff, please like my blog's Facebook page! If I discuss it at all over the holiday, it will be there.
Promote Your Page Too
1. I have been getting both of my daughters ready for their brother's wedding. It's so different preparing my teenage son and 10-year-old daughter compared to my 16-year-old daughter!.
- My son went for a tux fitting, cut his hair- and he's ready.
- My 10-year-old daughter picked out a jr. bridesmaid dress, had it fitted, and she's good to go.
- My 16-year-old daughter had to have a new bra and special undergarments, and silver shoes - we're over the $300 mark in clothing and accessories! And it's not even her fault really but the dress they picked out is one shoulder, so that called for a special bra. It was tight through the hips so that called for a cling-free undergarment, and the bride insisted on silver shoes. Shoes for a very wide size 9, particularly in silver, are not easy or inexpensive. But she should finally be good to go - except for the 8 a.m. hair appointment she has to go to next Saturday - ugh.
2. I hope the bride doesn't want me to wear an up-do! I don't have the face for it, or the jaw line. I need to wear it down.
About 20 years ago or so I was in a wedding where the bride insisted I get my hair done, and I remember coming home and brushing out - it didn't look the same as the salon hair- but it was more me! That's kind of what I'm going for as the mother-of the groom.
3. The baby has something called erythema multiforme. It looks awful but surprisingly doesn't bother her at all. It's another autoimmune response which makes me wonder if auto-immunity is more widespread in my family than I ever suspected. I must ask around about this at the next family reunion!
4. My future daughter-in-law calls me Mrs. LaVictoire. I tease her and say that's what I'm going to start calling her. I did tell her she could call me mom, but she feels uncomfortable with that. So I've been playing with variations. My nieces and nephews call me Aunt Ellie. I was thinking the baby should call me Grandma Ellie to differentiate me from her other grandma. So should I be Mother Ellie? Ellie Mom? to my daughter-in-law?
5. They want my 19-month-old granddaughter to carry one of these at the upcoming wedding:
See the tutorial for that here. Since little Miss C. is only 19 months old, there's a good chance she won't do that - unless the sign is connected to a stuffed animal
Which is how a stuffed Holstein will make it's way into my firstborn's wedding!
6. Rosie ran yesterday morning about 5 miles with the high school team, then three or so miles with her own team last night, and then five miles again this morning with the homeschool team. In between times she rides bike with her friends and hangs around-
Oh to be 10 with endless energy!
She didn't feel like racing the train though.
7. Noah was on his way to hang out with the seminarians in our diocese when he realized he only knew one way to get to the restaurant - and it involved the express way. So very cautiously but very bravely, he got on the express way and drove all by himself.
Frankly I think that's the best way for kids to learn to do that - with me NOT in the car!
Since then he has also driven back from piano lessons on the express way - so maybe this is one more adult-type hurdle cleared!
Happy Fourth of July!