Small request - if you read this blog regularly, please follow me on the Google Friend Connect in the right side bar! Thanks so much!
Outside my window...
or so they tell me!
I am thinking...
About a discussion I had with one of my adult sons. It seems that although he can't make it to mass on the weekend because of work (or so he tells me), he did manage to make it to a Protestant service on Sunday. I was shocked. So much so that I felt the need (Dear St. Monica help me!) to call him up to talk about it the next day.
It seems his girlfriend doesn't feel comfortable at mass and that she has fond memories of attending services when she was a little girl (though not in high school). So she would prefer that they find "there own" church to attend. She was even a bit miffed at me for trying to "force" my son to go to a Catholic church - as if I can force him to do anything these days.
my son said. "Look mom, I told her that I may not be the best practicing Catholic, but I will never EVER be a Protestant."
So I guess she and I will both have to be (un)satisfied with that!
I am thankful...
That he had a great PSR teacher in 8th grade who really took the time to teach the history of the Catholic church starting from Christ forward. I really think it is the knowledge of history that will keep this particular son from backstroking across the Tiber.
I am reading...
I have had to stop this book for now because it is so sad. I'm at the part where the Lord's 19-year-old son died from a combination of beating and drug overdose. I was totally drawn into the part where Penny keeps asking herself where she went wrong? how did it go bad? and "Didn't we do all the right things Lord?"
These sentiments are just too close to home for me right now. I'll pick it back up in a day or so.
I am looking forward to...
The end of winter! and surviving my pre-cana talk.
I am going...
- to speak to the pre-cana group this weekend
- be the single parent/driver for a few days soon.
- to get my medical transcription done
- be diligent in my prayer time.
- practice my flute.
- Write some blog posts
- work out every day. Did Karie Anderson Fitness Formula yesterday and Calorie Killer this morning.
- Get ready to get my taxes done. I'm taking them to a preparer this year, but I have a lot of stuff to get ready first.At the very least I hope to install Turbo Tax - that will be a good first step!
From the Learning Rooms...
Spelling program per Dr. Holinga for all three kids. We were pilot families for her program last year and it is finally going to be available to the public as Spelling U See.
Instacert for History and start American History part 2 for Noah. American History course from For Such a Time as This,
Lectures in American History from the Great Courses. Preparing for the AP exam in American History this spring.
Noah Excellence in Writing Course.
Runkle Geography for Izzy. Learning the countries in Europe.
Apologia Science - Izzy. Creation science Botany for Rosie Noah is finished with Physical Science
Noah and Izzy doing Geometry with Mr. D. Rosie doing Saxon math with me.
We Finished Billy Budd. Hope to watch the 1962 movie this week!
- Latin for Homeschoolers for Noah
- English from the Roots Up for Izzy.
- Diane Craft reading program for Izzy. She is about to start the very last Merrill Reader. I am so happy with the improvement that she has made since we started this program.
- Little House on the Prairie and Prairie Primer for Izzy. Starting the Happy Golden Years.Izzy and I are LOVING this book. It is so clear that Almanzo Wilder is crushing hard on Laura and she is absolutely clueless. Totally. Clueless. Things look like they will start getting interesting on the romantic front in chapter 19 and we read that tomorrow!
- Pathway readers for Rosie and the Wand for Language arts. Rosie too has graduated to Busy Times!
I am Learning...
How to rock this grain free dinner. This week fixed some steaks on my George Foreman! Always delicious.
A few plans for the rest of the week:
Well who knows!!! IF we get 8 to 12 inches of snow there might not be much too do! But I know the girls will have art tomorrow if I can get out of the driveway. Noah will run on the days it is not too bad out, and Saturday I have a nice luncheon planned with my sister to commemorate Mom's birthday, and I have to give the Pre-Cana talk. alone. again.
A photo to share
We start em early in our homeschool