Friday, August 14, 2015
Join the other Quicktakers at This Ain't the Lyceum.
1. We've been taking Miss C to the playground to try to burn off some of that toddler energy. I noticed my girls putting her into the swing and then pushing it gently back and forth. So of course I had to go over there and show them how toddlers really like to swing! And of course, she loves it!!
Then Izzy asked me, "Mom, did you swing all of your babies like that?"
"Of course!" I replied.
"Well that certainly explains a few things," she said.
I'm not sure what she means by that.
2. My second son Sam started a new job this month. He is working as a line cook in a very prestigious diner/market that opened in our neighborhood. This is a place that emphasizes organic, fresh, healthy food and I would say the clientele is on the preppy, hip, upwardly mobile side. His first week he got overtime and this week he had over 60 hours. But more importantly, he is learning food prep from real chefs and is enjoying the dynamics, the pace and the new challenges. I'm looking forward to dining there very soon!!
Besides music, cooking and baking were always something Sam has been interested in. Even when he was a little kid he always wanted to help in the kitchen. It's very neat to see him following his passion - and getting paid for it!
Sam doing food prep at home a few years ago!
3. Calvin's new job is going well too. He is partnered with a veteran paramedic with 30 years experience and he's learning a lot of the things you just have to get in the field because they can't cover it in a text book. He is also enjoying married life and his bride's home cooking every night. And from what I have learned on Facebook, she is enjoying their new city.
4. Today was the last official day of summer running. Rosie has run with the high school boy's cross country team all summer long. If all of the boys are running, Rosie can be found holding her own quite well in the middle of the pack.
Today they got their uniforms and while the boys were picking out their jersey's and their shorts the coach told Rosie, "You should get in there and get a uniform too Rosie!"
She didn't of course, but it made her feel good to have him say that.
Here she is doing her strides with the guys earlier this summer.
5. Izzy has a booth in an upcoming art show! She's working on it with her BFF T, and they have made hundreds of really cute items!! Will this become her life's passion? We'll see.
6. This is also going to be "window weekend!" We have all of the replacement windows for our rehab house. So Mr. Pete is going to show Izzy, Noah and hopefully Gabe how to remove an old window and put in a new one. The plan is to have them see one, and then do one.
We're going to grade them on this too. Rehabing this house is part of our homeschool curriculum this year. I think I'll even call it that on the official transcript - house rehab!
7. Next week we are going to start doing a little bit of homeschooling, because running moves from the morning to the afternoon. I like to start slowly, a little bit at a time, but I mainly want Izzy to get a head start in her chemistry textbook and maybe start economics too! Noah is scheduled for the Biology CLEP in about two weeks, so he'll be working towards that as well.
Noah's senior year - looking towards applying to colleges for next year. I feel very challenged in getting him prepared for this.