Monday, March 02, 2015
Improving Your Lent Experience Part 2
"Father Into Your Hands" by Christopher Brown via Flickr, licensed via creative commons.
Back in 2005, I posted 40 Ways to Improve Your Lenten Experience from Karen Marie Knapp's blog at From the Anchor Hold. She posted it on February 26, 2006 from the Catholic Herald. I'm dividing it into four parts with some updates, tweaks, links, and suggestions.
Part 1 is here.
13. Keep a dish of ashes in a prominent place as a constant reminder of the season.
14. Receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation.
15. Test your knowledge of Scripture.
The Bible quiz
Catholic Bible Quiz
Quiz on the New American Bible.
16. Read a biography about Archbishop Oscar Romero and/or watch the video “Romero.”
17. Open a Christmas Club account with the intention of giving the money to the Society of St. Vincent de Paul.
18. Visit a church when you don’t have to.
19. Reserve a button on your car stereo for the Relevant Radio station in your area.
20. Pray the news — for the people whose stories of hardship are reported daily and weekly.
21. Read an entry from a Catholic encyclopedia.
22. Attend Mass at a parish other than your own
23. Tithe your tax return.
24. If Catholic schools get NCAA tournament bids, learn for whom those schools were named.
25. Observe five minutes of silence every day.