Join the other Quicktakers at This Ain't the Lyceum.
1. 50 Shades of Grey opens this weekend. It's being touted as THE movie to see for Valentine's Day. I find that hysterically funny considering
- The stars didn't enjoy filming it.
- It's getting panned by the critics and
- the couple breaks up at the end ! Nothing says "Happy Valentine's Day" like a film where the girl gets her butt beaten so badly that she turns to her boyfriend and asks, "How could you do that to me?" and then they break up? I just don't get it.
2. I had to record my flute last weekend in an actual sound studio. This is only the second time in my life that I have done this. I've decided - I don't like it. The studio sucks all of the beautiful tonal qualities out of the flute sound and it sounds dead and flat. There is nothing of the sound left that actually makes it pleasurable for me to play it. They put all that stuff back in while they are producing the CD of course.
PLUS, in an actual performance I use vocal cues and even visually watch the pianist's posture and the motions from the conductor while I'm playing. There's none of that really during a recording session either. So I guess I'm more of a performance artist.
That said, I'm still glad to have the opportunity to record my music so my kids will have it. My mother was a wonderful pianist, but there is no professional recording of her playing, and that's a shame.
3. Tomorrow Mr. Pete and I give our talk to the Pre-Cana couples. There are over 20 couples attending... and I am officially nervous about it. This will be the first time Mr. Pete and I have done the talk together in over four years, so we have to try to mesh that all back together. Plus, the disastrous group we had in 2013 is still lurking in my memory.
Also, this will be the first time giving the talk with one of my children as an actual participant. Mr. Pete and I decided not to change anything just because he will be there, although I asked Calvin if it would bother him.
"Cal, will it bother you if we talk about you during our talk? We have always been pretty honest in years past."
"I guess not, but do you have to use my name?" he asked.
"What name should we use?"
"How about Eric!?" he replied.
I don't think his first cousin, Eric would be happy with that.
4. There's one point of our talk when we talk about not being able to take anything with you to heaven. Mr. Pete thought we should use this song at that point in the talk, or at least refer to it.
5. There is a part in our talk when I discuss how God gives us the children we need in our lives to help us on our path to holiness. This year, I want to add something about having teenagers and launching young adults and I think this quote from the moving Jerry Maguire would fit in quite nicely and maybe get a laugh or two!
I am out here for you. You don't know what it's like to be ME out here for YOU. It is an up-at-dawn, pride-swallowing siege that I will never fully tell you about, okay? Help me... help you. Help me, help you.
6. Calvin was telling me about the flower budget for the wedding. It appears that because money is going to be so tight, they've decided not to get flowers for the mothers or fathers. I was OK with that at first, and then I started thinking about the pictures and all of the weddings that I work for every year and, and, and...
the mothers ALWAYS get flowers!!
It's not even that it's such a big deal but for some reason I just sort of mourned the loss of a silly corsage. Egad, it's a curse to be so sentimental about stupid stuff like that.
So I told Mr. Pete about it and in his sweetest voice he said, "Don't worry. I'm going to make sure that my wife has flowers on her son's wedding day."
"and Aunt Kay too?" I asked with a lump in my throat.
"Aunt Kay too."
This is why I love my husband. We're not big flowers on Valentine's Day people - but when flowers really counts, I know he won't let me down!
7. I found out on Monday that our Wednesday co-op was going to have a Valentine's party. There were 38 kids and some of them have really, really severe food allergies.
So the girls and I came up with these cut clips!