Join Jen and the other Quicktakers over at the Conversion Diary
1. I found the perfect photo to depict my view of the VP debate last Thursday.
Look, I knew ole, Joe Biden was going to have to come out as a tough competitor. I didn't know that would translate to rude. He certainly wasn't the same man that debated against Sarah Palin four years ago. And I think it's because rudeness and being discourteous - the overall incivility that prevails in the culture -has permeated the leadership as well.
2. I was particularly fascinated in hearing how Joe was going to answer the "Catholic and abortion" question put him by the moderator.
It's one thing to say that you won't force your beliefs on another person when it comes to abortion - but it's quite another to go out of your way to promote and defend abortion! which is essentially what Joe Biden has done.
3. I'm still not quite sure how many Catholics make this disconnect between their faith and their political views. One or my elderly friends on facebook, a Catholic and an Obama/Biden supporter just came out and said she leaves her religion behind when she enters the voting booth. I don't think she's alone. I also think that if you compartmentalize your faith in other ways (contraception, cohabitation, abortion, etc.) then this just gets easier with practice.
4. The end of the soccer season has become a bit interesting. The park where we hold our games will be the site of a 5K race next weekend. Because of the race, the playoff soccer games were all pushed back an hour. Unfortunately, many of the soccer families are friends with a couple that are having their wedding at 1 p.m. that day and so players and coaches were dropping out of the playoff like mice off a sinking ship to attend the wedding! So to fix that problem, they moved the playoffs up to yesterday and cancelled soccer altogether for next weekend.
5. Unfortunately, yesterday was the day 4 of Mr. Pete's players were going to be missing for various reasons. His team played with all the remaining players and no subs. They still lost, but only by 1 point, which considering everything, wasn't too bad.
Gabe and Noah's team lost too.
Which means the only team playing in the championships in two weeks is Rosies!!!
6. Izzy certainly did her part though! She ran in the cross country championships yesterday at 10:10 and then we rushed 30 minutes across the county to get her there for the soccer game on time!
7. Incidentally, if any of you have friends in Michigan and wonder how come they aren't talking politics right now - it's because they are all emotionally invested in watching this!
Since I have lived in NE Ohio for over 25 years, I only have a vague understanding of what this feels like - after all I was 9 years old when the Tigers won the world series - but I'm kinda thinking my own children are never going to get that same experience - at least not with Cleveland Teams!