1. I am about to embark on a road trip this weekend with Sam and Rosie. We will be attending my BFF's son's graduation party. The rest of the family can't come because they start music camp on Monday and I don't want them to be late for it. I am a little nervous about this. The last time I went to other son's graduation party without Mr. Pete, I hit a pothole in Detroit and ended up getting towed and having a nice tow truck driver take me to the airport where I could rent a car. It was kind of scary and upsetting. But I can't let that stop me from going this time! (although I'm going by way of Ann Arbor instead of Detroit if I can help it!).
2. Sam is now half way done with Driver's Ed. The state of Ohio mandates 24 hours of classroom instruction and according to Sam they are really S T R E T C H I N G it to keep each class interesting. He has learned some new things though and some techniques for staying safe and being a defensive driver. I'll bet it all could be taught just as effectively in half the time. Oh the joys of government regulation. Can't wait until he is done!! When he gets this done he will have 8 hours of driving around with an instructor and then he can get his license!
3. Before that happens though we have to kick Calvin off of our insurance. I think though that he will probably be able to get it cheaper on his own as Mr. Pete has us insured at a higher rate than Calvin will probably need. So next month, when he turns 21, we will be turning over the car and the insurance fully to him.
4. Calvin's car was actually my mom's car. It has had an interesting life. She drove it all the way across the country from Michigan to New Mexico. Then she drove it for six years back and forth on bumpy roads from the ranch to Santa Fe. Then when Mom moved here the car didn't get driven very much; just a little around town driving. And now Calvin is driving it about 180 minutes three times a week to work and back! It's older than he is!
5. One of the things that I think really made an impression on everybody last week at the Battle of the Bands is that we started with a prayer. Not everyone there was Catholic. There may have even been some non-Christians, but everyone bowed their head and took a moment to thank God for bringing us all together and to bless each band and all of the audience. That was very special.
6. I worked out for the first time since I hurt my back. I used The Firm Super Cardio Sculpt and five pound weights. Then I did The Firm: Upper Body Sculpt I was definitely sore the next day but I feel reassured that I can reach my fitness goals this summer and that my back is definitely much better. Speaking of fitness goals, did anyone see Losing it with Jillian Michaels? She moves into someone's house for a week, yells and berates them, tells them all that is wrong with their life, then they have a touchy-feely "all better" moment and she leaves to come back six weeks later and everyone has dropped 30 to 50 pounds. I'm not sure I'm buying into it.
7. Found this gem on Facebook. It's entitled, this drummer showed up at the wrong gig! Too funny!